What may occur when using Progesterone Cream for the first time
Vitamin D is vital as it is connection to every single cell and it's formation in our bodies. A deficiency reduces the benefits of progesterone, see here. If you are deficient it will take progesterone longer to work, and in most cases, it simply does not work. It is so important to get your level up as per the link provided. Please have a vitamin D test done.
It is most important that you understand and are aware of certain symptoms which may be experienced when using progesterone cream for the first time.
One question that I am asked regularly is "what happens if I use too much"? Unless you use two cups a day, the answer is NOTHING!! The more you use in the beginning the better it is for you as it helps to avoid adverse symptoms caused by excess estrogen. The late Dr Kittie Dalton used to prescribe 2 400mg per day successfully for those suffering from PND and psychotic like symptoms and TBI sufferers are giving 1 400mg per day.
Another question asked regularly is, "how long will it take before I notice a difference"? That's a difficult question to answer, you have to understand that any natural product, no matter what it is, is not a 'quick fix' solution, things take time. Positive results can be felt from 2 to 6 months, possibly more PROVIDING you use the correct amount of progesterone according to your symptoms. NEVER use less than 100mg/3ml per day if you are female, men can use less but again this depends on symptoms. A higher dose is often needed to address a particular symptom. If you use too little or stop using progesterone your symptoms, whatever that are will return. It should be used a minimum of twice a day as progesterone levels start to drop after 13 hours and the aim is to keep the level stable.
People react differently to certain things, what may cause you discomfort, will not to others. You may experience 'adverse' symptoms often encountered by men and women if they have a naturally high level of estrogen or, in the case of women, who have been on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) or the contraceptive Pill for any length of time and therefore have low progesterone levels. In some cases you may feel:
- an aches or a pains in your joints
- water retention
- weight gain
- heart palpitations or a tight chest
Please persevere with the progesterone cream, DO NOT stop using it as these uncomfortable symptoms should clear up within a week IF used correctly. We are now getting reports from women using as much as 400mg/12ml in the beginning stating that it prevents them from experiencing these adverse symptoms otherwise known as ESTROGEN DOMINANCE symptoms. If you find that 100mg/3ml - 200mg.6ml is not working for you, then increase until you find a level that suits you then once you feel stable you can begin to slowly reduce down to a level that suits you. Those suffering from hot flushes and night sweats need to use 400mg/12ml per day, more if symptoms are severe, it's the quickest way of getting rid of the hot flushes etc. Once things improve you can slowly reduce.
Men can also experience estrogen dominance symptoms when first using progesterone, some even get 'man boobs' men however, do not need to use such high doses - 100mg/3ml reducing down to 2ml per day would be the correct dose for men unless he has a specific symptom like prostate problems.
How to Reduce Progesterone Cream
You can slowly start to reduce the amount of cream used once you feel stable enough to do so. It is vital that this is done SLOWLY - if too much is reduce too soon, your symptoms will return. Should this happen, simply increase the amount of cream until you feel stable again and then try again by slowly reducing. It is essential to reduce over a few weeks to prevent adverse symptoms returning.
How to Reduce - reduce by no more than 16mg at a time. Stay on the reduced amount for a few days before reducing again. Symptoms will return if you reduce by too much and too quickly. Never reduce to less than 100mg/3ml per day as all adverse symptoms will return.
As you use progesterone it will gradually become the dominant hormone which is what is needed. As this happens symptoms begin to ease.
You are estrogen dominant if you experience some of the symptoms listed below. Men also experience these symptoms apart from the obvious female problems.
- aches and pains
- bleeding which comes either earlier or later than usual
- bloating/weight gain due to water retention
- breast tenderness
- heart palpitations
- hot flushes
- increased appetite/cravings
- mild depression
- mood swings
- muscle weakness
- skin problems/acne/melasma
- tiredness/chronic fatigue
It is far better to use a higher dose when first using progesterone to avoid estrogen dominance symptoms, then you can slowly reduce. Remember we are trying to make progesterone the dominant hormone which is why we start off by using a higher dose.
Please follow these instructions when using progesterone cream for the first time. The cream can be use anywhere and everywhere, all over your body including your face. Insert it in the vagina at night as it is excellent for dryness and inflammation, even hair follicles absorb it well. If you have an ache or a pain rub the cream on the painful area as progesterone is an excellent anti-inflammatory. I have even used it on my tongue to see if it will help the burning sensation that I get from time to time and it does ease the burn.
Please note: The information below showing quantities of progesterone cream are based on a concentration of 3.33% progesterone which is in a 2oz (60 gram) tube of Natpro cream containing 2000mg (2 grams) of progesterone.
- Menstruating - if a cycle is present, apply cream twice daily from ovulation for the next 14 days, bleeding should occur within a day or two. The luteal phase is always 12 - 14 days in all women, any less and it is known as a 'defective luteal phase'. Cycles vary from 21 days to 36 days. For example in a 21 day cycle the cream should be used from day 8 for 14 days, if a 28 day cycle from day 15 for 14 days and if a 36 days cycle from day 22 for 14 days. Use 100-200mg/3-6ml per day, more maybe needed depending on how severe symptoms are.
- Peri or Post Menopausal, Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Pre-pubertal, Pubertal - if there is no cycle, or an erratic one which is too difficult to follow, use 100-200mg/3-6ml possibly more depending on how severe symptoms are. It is best to apply the cream twice daily and use through any bleeding or clotting. There is no need to take a break as some suggest, although some women prefer to have one but they usually land up using it daily with no breaks.
- Severe symptoms - Hot Flushes use at least 400mg/12ml per day, this generally stops them. It is best to apply the cream hourly. Heavy, continual bleeding use 400-600mg per day for 1 to 3 months, ignoring the cycle. When the bleeding has stopped, slowly reduce the cream until bleeding occurs again, then discontinue the cream for 14 days. Then start using the cream again from day 15 for 14 days. Over the coming months the natural cycle length will assert itself. It is best to apply the cream hourly. A multitude of bad symptoms use a minimum of 200mg/6ml per day following the cycle, more might be needed. If symptoms return during the break, then continue applying the cream twice a day or more frequently until they resolve. Once they have, then begin to follow your cycle again.
Use from 10 - 100mg/ 0.3 - 3ml per day. It is best to use the cream twice a day.
Please see How to Use Progesterone Cream and When to use Progesterone Cream so that you fully understand how it works!! You will also find a chart indicating how long a tube of Natpro will last you using different amounts.
If you do not follow the above instructions it will not work and you will think that progesterone cream does not work which is totally untrue.
- When your tube is finished, please cut it open as there is usually quite a bit of cream left behind. This cream is simply too valuable to throw away
- Progesterone cream is the best delivery method as 95% gets destroyed by the gut and liver if using oral progesterone - see here
- Use Natpro Progesterone cream as a facial moisturiser
- It is EXCELLENT as an underarm deodorant
Before using progesterone cream for the first time, please read the link
on estrogen dominance